Philips Arena has rightfully earned the nickname “The Highlight Factory” from all the spectacular plays that have echoed from the arena, all the way down Peachtree Street. I remember, when I was a younger man, watching Dikembe Mutombo deny more potential highlights than I could count. However, recently, it dawned on me just how many Hawks have completed a jaw-dropping, otherworldly poster.
So I decided to come up with the list you see below. Enjoy.
10. Jeff Teague over Kevin Durant
Scene: November 5, 2012, at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Two minutes left in the second quarter.
Jeff Teague: “Easy lane to the basket.”
Kevin Durant: “Oh, its just Jeff Teague. I’m blocking this with ease. This finna be a breeze!”
9. Josh Smith mimics Kobe Bryant and Ricky Davis by flushing one on Steve Nash.
Nash has dished out plenty of L’s in his Hall of Fame career, but we shouldn’t forget his blunders. He meant well, but that doesn’t mean it always ended well. Three posters that I can recall and every one of them ended with a Nash receiving a blocking foul. Good Lord.
8. Al Horford skies over Kevin Love (Round 2, Game 3 of the 2016 Playoffs).
Al Horford literally sat on Love’s shoulder; take note of how Love’s teammates didn’t even venture near the crime scene. When you get boomed on you are on your own–that’s the code.
7. Paul Millsap over John Henson
Trillsap sent Henson back to UNC with this banger. Made the kid re-enroll with a double major and a full-time job just to forget his past life. What a shame.
6. Bradley Beal meet Mike Scott–Mike Scott meet Bradley Beal.
Dominique said it best here: “What are you doing?” And to Beal’s credit, he did the right thing—just at the wrong time.
5. More Mike Scott, this time on Ian Mahinmi’s head.
4. Dominique Wilkins over everybody
3. Not a poster, but Spud Webb’s dunk against Magic & the Lakers deserves praise. Truly astonishing.
2. Josh Smith dunks on Serge Ibaka
1. Dominique double clutched off two feet, while contorting his body mid air and finished with authority. Greatness.